Ep 13: Is This the Most Sustainable Brand in the World?
If there is one brand in the entire world that can prove that natural and sustainable doesn't mean "boring," then trust me, this is it. In one of our most highly requested Nourished Life podcast episodes yet, I speak to Brianne West, the founder of Ethique – known as the most sustainable cosmetics company in the world...
This is without a doubt one of our most highly requested episodes yet! You guessed, in this episode of Talking Clean with Irene, I speak to the founder and creator of Ethique – Brianne West. If you've never heard of Ethique, you are in for a real treat. This incredible brand is working to save over 80 million plastic bottles from ending up in landfill and the ocean every year, and Brianne has done it by creating an entire beauty range without using a single bottle. Sounds too good to be true, right? Let's find out why Ethique is called "the most sustainable cosmetics company in the world."
In this episode, Brianne reveals that some of our favourite liquid shampoo and body wash products could actually contain up to 95% water... she tells us exactly what makes Ethique bars different, talking us through the active ingredients used and how she found a 100% zero waste and plastic free packaging solution. Brianne breaks down the difference between biodegradable and compostable products once and for all, and make sure you listen closely, because serious hints are dropped about some brand new and incredibly innovative Ethique products on the horizon (including natural purple shampoo and plastic free makeup!)
"I think that businesses need to operate as ethically as possible in every single way."
– Brianne West
– Brianne West
These are all the topics Brianne and I cover:
• Why Brianne created the most sustainable cosmetics company in the world (1:33)
• How Ethique bars are different to soap (2:51)
• What was the very first Ethique product? (3:13)
• How the range developed from one shampoo into skin care and body care (3:40)
• All about the brand new Ethique deodorants (4:39)
• The difference between "biodegradable" and "compostable" (5:14)
• How many bottles one bar can replace (6:26)
• How to get the most out of your bar – best way to store solid bars (7:31)
• NEW Ethique products – coming soon! – natural purple shampoo and plastic free makeup (8:40)
• Why compostable packaging is the way of the future (11:31)
• All of Ethique's certifications (13:05)
• The new limited edition Bindi Irwin bars (13:42)
• Where to start if you are new to solid beauty bars – try the Bliss Bar Face Cleanser (14:33)
• The Ethique pet range for dogs, cats and horses (16:00)
• Brianne's personal routine (17:24)
Brianne's Top 3 Products:
- Ethique Pinkalicious: It's been a few years since we launched Pinkalicious as a limited edition bar for our birthday, it was so popular that it sold out almost instantly! So it's not surprised, much to my delight, that it soon joined our range full time. With pink grapefruit and vanilla, it's hard to resist!
- Ethique Superstar: I'm embracing the double cleanse method at the moment, so I kick off my nightly routine with our solid oil cleanser, Superstar. It's amazing at removing your "day", be it makeup, dirt or grease, it's also super relaxing! I then follow up with our Bliss Bar. Double cleansing is really good if you wear makeup during the day as it ensures that your face is thoroughly cleansed.
- Ethique Too Delicious: I typically don't use conditioner but once a month I love to do a deep condition and I do this with our super-hydrating conditioner, Too Delicious, it's one of our newest bars, but already it's one of our most raved about.
Enjoyed this episode? Don't forget to subscribe and leave me a 5-star review in Apple Podcasts or your favourite podcast app – together, we can make toxin-free living mainstream!