If you have ever wondered whether there is such a thing as sustainable palm oil, then this podcast episode is for you. In this episode of Talking Clean with Irene, I'm speaking to Lisa Bronner, the granddaughter of Emanuel Bronner, who founded the famous Dr Bronner's soap brand. Lisa came to bust the myths surrounding palm oil in Dr Bronner's and tell us all about their incredible initiatives to support ethical ingredients, fair trade and sustainability.
Not only are these famous soaps completely natural with a whole bunch of skin care benefits, in this episode we find out that they are actually also one of the solutions to our global waste crisis. I love Lisa Bronner for continuing this family business for us – I first met her in 2015 and so much of what she said to me then has really shaped my personal buying and cleaning habits today. In short, Lisa is the person who knows everything there is to know about natural soaps, soapmaking and how to use them in every possible way around your home and on the body. Listen now to find out everything you've ever wanted to know about how to use Dr Bronner's natural soaps.
"We've never shied away from a fight that we feel is worth fighting."
— Lisa Bronner
Here's everything we talk about:
• The story of Dr Bronner's – How were the Dr Bronner's soaps created, and how did they become so iconic? (1:53)
• Was Dr Bronner's original philosophy exactly the same as what's still on the bottle now? (6:15)
• What is a castile soap? (7:01)
• How did there come to be so many different scents? (8:10)
• Why every single scent can be used for a massive 18 different uses (8:38)
• How is it possible that we can use a cleaning soap on our faces as well? (9:20)
• How Dr Bronner's has become even more relevant today in the zero-waste movement (11:41)
• Palm oil in Dr Bronner's – dispelling the myths once and for all (15:07)
• Dr Bronner's palm production documentary "Sustainable Palm Oil: The Difference Fair Trade Makes" – watch on YouTube (19:25)
• How choosing Dr Bronner's soaps can help change the world (20:57)
• The bubble myth (22:29)
• How did all of the mainstream, toxin-laden products come about in the first place? (23:58)
• Regulation of the personal care products industry (28:17)
• Lisa Bronner's blog – Going Green with a Bronner Mom (29:44)
If you love our Nourished Life podcast, I would love it if you could please leave me a 5-star review in iTunes or your podcast app – it really helps me reach even more people. Let's make toxin-free living mainstream!