Mould is a health hazard that can cause respiratory problems for the young, elderly and sick, and trigger asthma attacks and worsen symptoms. According to the National Asthma Council Australia, 50% of people living in mouldy homes have ongoing upper respiratory symptoms that resemble hay fever!
To help you effectively get rid of mould now we spoke to Becky Thompson, founder of SimplyClean. She shared her tips with us on how to naturally kill and prevent mould.
Can we use bleach?
Chlorine bleach is the traditional solution for tackling mould in the home - it's cheap and available everywhere! But its effectiveness is limited and problems are numerous.
The benefits of using bleach are that it:
- Literally 'bleaches' your black mould to white (making it invisible)
- Biodegrades happily to salt and water
The downsides of using bleach is that it:
- Isn't a very effective mould killer
- Tackles mould on the surface but isn't good at penetrating & reaching hidden spores
- Living spores begin to flourish and the mould appears once again
- Can be irritating and unhealthy for many
- Is corrosive, meaning it can corrode tapware and any metal fittings in your home
- Needs careful handling
- Should never be mixed with any other cleaning product because it can produce poisonous chlorine gas!
So, how can we get rid of mould without toxic chemicals?
By using hydrogen peroxide! An oxygen-based bleach, it's amazing at tackling mould and performs even better when combined with surfactants (aka. cleaning ingredients that break down the surface of stuff like dirt and mould). Whilst it's a type of "bleach", it only discolours mildly.
Simply Clean's Simply No Mould combines a strong 5% solution of hydrogen peroxide with a blend of plant-based surfactants to help the hydrogen peroxide seep into the mould.
The benefits of Simply No Mould are that it:
- Effectively kills mould - you can see it fizz to attack and burn mould from the inside
- Penetrates deep behind, and into, mould spores
- Destroys mould quickly and thoroughly
- Biodegrades - hydrogen peroxide breaks down to oxygen and water!
- Is free from irritants and there are no toxic fumes
- Is safe around your home & kind to your tapware and grout
The downsides of using Simply No Mould are that it:
- Is slower at concealing mould, but rest assured that your mould is already dead. The action of bleaching to white is much milder with hydrogen peroxide than with chlorine bleach. Hardened mould will need a few applications for the black colour to fade and disappear. This can be sped up by using a white scourer - these are readily available from supermarkets for a few dollars.
How can we help prevent mould?
- Use a squeegee after your shower to send excess water straight down the drain.
- Ventilate by using exhaust fans and open windows where possible in the bathroom and kitchen.
- Use moisture absorbers in small rooms, and wardrobes. Calcium chloride crystals absorb excess moisture in the air and are cheap, and safe for the environment.
Shop our full range of Simply Clean products.
Explore more natural and non-toxic cleaning products.
Read our guide to having a toxin-free home.