With a list of beauty and health benefits a mile long, we couldn't not add organic goji berries to the Nourished Life beauty shelves! But what are goji berries? The goji berry is a tiny superfood which seriously packs a punch with over 21 trace minerals and a top ORAC rating.
What are Goji berries?
Also known as Wolfberries, this bright red/orange superfruit has been harvested from the matrimony vine (goji berry plant) and used for over two centuries in Chinese medicine to fight disease and promote overall health and well-being. Traditionally the Chinese Wolfberry is dried or cooked before consumption, however goji berries are now available as whole fruit, tea, powder, are commonly used in granola bars and yogurts, and can be eaten straight from the pack.
Benefits of Goji berries
1. What gives goji berries their superfood status? Goji berry benefits are topped by their nutritional value. Goji berries contain super high levels of Vitamin C, Vitamin A and over 21 trace minerals including calcium, magnesium, selenium, iron (x15 the amount found in spinach), zinc, thiamin, fibre and ALL essential amino acids. Goji berries are one of the only fruits to contain all the essential amino acids!
2. Goji berries have an ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) - aka total antioxidant capacity - score of 25,300! To put this in perspective, antioxidant rich green tea has a score of 1686, blueberries 2400 and broccoli 890! You read that right - goji berry health benefits top the charts! Antioxidants ward off signs of premature ageing by fighting free radicals and reducing inflammation on the inside to help you maintain smooth, glowing skin on the outside!
3. Goji berries are a natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal food to help boost the immune system which is why "wolfberries" (aka the goji berry) were used in traditional Chinese Medicine to increase strength and longevity. They are also known to have unique polysaccharides which work together to fortify the immune system, and are not found in any other known plant.
4. Similar to the benefits you get from eating other berries, goji berries are loaded with 5 different Carotenoids including Beta-carotene, Zeaxanthin, Lutein, Lycopene and Crytoxanthin. Beta-carotene (a pigment found in plants and fruits) in particular, helps to promote healthy skin and strong eyesight. In fact, goji berries have one of the highest contents of beta-carotenes out of any other fruit.
5. Goji berries contain high levels of magnesium and thiamin which help to relax muscles and improve quality of sleep as well as your overall feeling of well being, allowing you to feel and look your best!
How to eat Goji berries
Goji berries are most commonly eaten in dried form, making them a delicious and convenient snack! You can eat dried goji berries as they are or add them to trail mix, muesli, tea, salad, breakfast bowl, yogurt, smoothie or oatmeal. Plus, goji berries are fat-free and low in calories!
For those of you who haven't tried goji berries, they have a very slight natural sweetness with a small tinge of herb-like aftertaste. The goji berry also contains tiny seeds (which are rich in fibre) that add a nice texture to your meal.
The Nourished Life Maca Goji Morning Smoothie Recipe
For a delicious brekkie on the go or an after dinner treat combine the following ingredients in a blender, and top with cacao nibs!
- Approx 300ml of organic almond milk
- 2 tablespoons of Maca Smoothie Blend
- 1 tablespoon of The Beauty Chef BODY Powder
- handful of goji berries
Aiding healthy skin and overall health, it is no wonder Goji berries are a key ingredient in skin and health care supplements. With a wide range of various benefits, goji berries are a key ingredient in some of Nourished Life's favourites:
WelleCo The Super Elixir
An easily digestible multivitamin from WelleCo, founded by by Elle Macpherson, The Super Elixir is a premium multivitamin that harnesses the antioxidant power of key ingredients, including goji berries, to restore your body's optimum pH levels, encouraging overall health.
The Beauty Chef COLLAGEN Inner Beauty Boost
A delicious concentrate that blends the antioxidant power of acai and goji berries and boosts your collagen levels; promoting vital, plump skin; and combats cellular damage encouraging hair and nail growth.
Edible Beauty Tea No. 2 - Fountain of Youth
Also available in refill packs, Edible Beauty's Tea No 2 "Fountain Of Youth" is both fragrant and touts the anti-ageing, skin-plumping and hydrating antioxidant benefits of numerous berries, including goji berries, to help reduce inflammation and aid digestion.
Skin Juice Berry Buff Smoothie Body Scrub
A sense stimulating scrub, this detoxifying body scrub blends together antioxidant rich cranberry, raspberry, beetroot, macqui and goji berries to leave you feeling cleansed, fresh, supple, and smooth.
100% Pure Blush
Packed with anti-ageing vitamins and antioxidants this light blush provides a youthful sun kissed look and everyday healthy glow, while providing goji berry benefits to your skin.
Andalou Naturals Super Goji Peptide Perfecting Cream
This creamy formulation uses the power of glycopeptides from goji berries which has a lifting and firming effect. It is formulated using Fruit Stem Cells to help promote cell renewal, skin immunity along with CoQ10 and Hyaluronic Acid for a powerful goji berry night cream which fights the signs of ageing.