BeautyCraft is a cool iPhone app for natural beauty, it shows us how we can make easy fresh beauty products from all the natural ingredients in our kitchen and local grocery store. I asked Lorraine Dallmeier, Herb & Hedgerow's Director to share with us her top 5 DIY natural beauty tips
1. Have a go at trying to make your own beauty products, it's fun, cheap and helps you understand more about the products you put on your skin and hair. Many of the natural beauty tips contained in BeautyCraft app have been used for centuries. Did you know that Cleopatra's infamous milk baths were effective because milk contains a compound that aids exfoliation?
2. Certain well-known herbs such as lavender and chamomile have been shown to do great things for your skin. You will have seen these herbs listed in lots of skin- and haircare products. However, have you ever considered adding these dried herbs to your bath? Wrap a handful of dried chamomile and lavender flowers in a muslin bag, hang under your bath taps and enjoy a long soak in the tub while your skin enjoys the anti-inflammatory and soothing properties of these wonderful skincare herbs.
3. Don't be scared of oil. Our skin has a natural affinity with oil as it contains natural oils which moisturise and waterproof. Consider using an organic oil to cleanse or moisturise your delicate facial skin. There are some wonderful organic oils available such as rosehip oil or avocado oil. Massage a few drops into your skin every night and enjoy their fantastic moisturising properties!
4. Prepare your beauty products fresh and keep in the fridge. Try an organic red grape face mask and do what French women have done for hundreds of years to benefit from grapes' antioxidant properties.
5. Don't feel intimidated by the long list of unpronounceable ingredients on the back of the beauty products you see in the shops – find out what they are, research their risks at the EWG Chemical database and look into the huge growing range of natural and organic alternatives!
The BeautyCraft can be downloaded at the itunes store