How to Get a Good Night's Sleep
How to get to sleep... a question for the ages! A restless night can leave you fatigued and unable to cope with the day, so I've put together my top 3 pieces of advice for getting to sleep each night, naturally.
It's amazing how much a good night's sleep can make us feel a thousand times better! We are all aware that sleep is incredibly important to our general health and wellbeing, and yet I know I'm not the only one who struggles with getting enough sleep each night. A while ago I actually discovered that only 5% of Australians are getting enough sleep! Whether you struggle with calming your active mind down, actually getting to sleep or even staying asleep, these natural sleep aids might just help you to drift off to dreamland – here are my top 3 tips for getting a good night's sleep!
1. Sip on a sleepytime tea
My first tip on how to get to sleep is to make a habit of enjoying a cup of natural sleep tea! After dinner, and around an hour before bed, brew up a blend that's specially formulated to help you get into sleep mode, fall asleep and stay asleep.
• The bestselling Nutra Organics Lunar Latte makes for a beautiful nighttime treat, filled with goodies like Ashwagandha, He Shou Wu and Reishi Mushroom, traditionally used to calm the mind and help the body manage stress. Perfect mixed with Almond Milk to create a "latte", this stunning blend is actually purple in colour, thanks to the natural pigment of Purple Carrots! It has a delicious smooth Vanilla flavour with mild Caramel and floral undertones and a subtle hint of Pink Himalayan Crystal Salt.
• The Beauty Chef Sleep Inner Beauty Powder is another wonderfully calming natural sleep tea, featuring Lemon Balm, Passionflower, Turmeric and Ayurvedic spices to help promote restful sleep, as well as provide a range of potent antioxidants. Add one teaspoon to a cup of warm Almond Milk to create a wonderfully spicy sleep tea.
• The WelleCo Sleep Welle tea bags contain a specially formulated blend of herbs that are known to help ease stress and promote restful sleep, including Valerian Root (also known as "nature's Valium"), Hops and Skullcap. It has a yummy fruity flavour, thanks to Mango, Passionflower and Lemon Balm.
Not into tea? Consider taking a herbal supplement instead. The Kiwiherb Valerian Root Extract is designed to provide sleep and anxiety support in the form of an oral liquid which can be diluted in water or juice. For professional advice on using any of our natural remedies, you can contact the Nourished Life naturopath Mel via email:
2. Soak in a Magnesium bath
I find that there's nothing better than a long soak in the tub to help me relax and wind down for the night.
• While you're filling up the bath with warm water, add 1/2 cup or 1 cup of Amazing Oils Magnesium Bath Flakes. These pure, sustainably sourced Magnesium Chloride flakes work to relax and recharge your tired body and are perfect for the whole family too.
• If you don't have a bath, you can still enjoy the benefits of Magnesium with an oil or cream! Try massaging the Amazing Oils Magnesium Oil into skin in circular motions, paying special attention to any particularly tired or aching areas. The Elektra Magnesium Cream - Zest Citrus is another great option with extra moisturising properties from creamy Shea and Cocoa Butters. This formula is more diluted than plain Magnesium Oil, designed to be gentle on all skin types.
3. Prepare your bedroom
Finally, in order to get a good night's sleep, your room should be cool, dark and quiet. There are a few ways to eliminate distractions and turn your bedroom into a sleep sanctuary:
• Remove any tech devices, such as your phone, laptop or tablet. These gadgets emit blue light, which can mess with the brain's sleep signals. We should try to limit screen time in the bedroom as much as possible. I switch all my devices to 'do not disturb' an hour before I plan to go to bed!
• Diffuse a few drops of essential oil like the Eco Aroma Sleep Blend in a diffuser around 20 minutes before heading to bed. With calming Mandarin, Lavender, Ylang Ylang and Chamomile, it smells incredibly peaceful! This beautiful blend also comes in a rollerball version which can be applied straight onto skin.
• Dab a sleep balm on your temples and under the nose. The bestselling Badger Sleep Balm features a calming blend of Rosemary, Bergamot and Lavender essential oils, traditionally used to help promote relaxation. It's perfect used as part of a nightly routine, and also comes in a special Night Night Balm formula designed for kids.
• Hop into bed and read a book. This is a beautiful way to unwind after a day of staring at screens. If you need a new read, we have plenty of health and wellness books in the shop! Even just flicking through a cookbook to browse some recipes can help me feel more relaxed in just minutes.
• Pop on an eye mask, such as the Black Chicken Remedies Featherlite Silk Eye Mask. This silky smooth masks blocks out any light, creating complete darkness to help you drift off into a deep and peaceful slumber.