Here are the best 3 tried and tested tips for getting fat hair.
1. Break the daily washing cycle.
I know it's easier said than done, as a fresh wash and blow-dry seems the best solution everyday! But everyday washing is only adding to your flat hair woes. Here's why.... The daily washing of your scalp causes it to actually produce more oil (known as sebum) by firstly, the action itself of rubbing and massaging the scalp, as it is overstimulating the oil glands. And then shampoo itself can react with the scalp causing it to produce more sebum as a protective barrier.
Start with every 2nd day, and wean down to twice a week. The first couple of weeks will be the worst, as your hair will feel oilier before it gets better. But you will get healthier, fuller hair in the long run (and your shampoo will last a lot longer).
3. Use the right Shampoo & conditioner
Use Shampoo & Conditioner designed to add volume to your hair. Here at Nourished Life we have a huge selection of hair care products that will add volume to thin and limp hair.
3. Stop tipping your head upside down to blow-dry.
How do you blast body in to your hair? Do you tip your head upside down and turn your dryer up full? Yep, that's how I did it before I knew better. All that achieves is blowing out the back and sides of your style (where its probably not ideal) you tip your head back up the right way and the weight of your hair on top of your head only weigh it all down and it ends up looking flat. Plus blowing air up the cuticle layer of the hair will leave it looking dry and brittle. (Or wind swept and interesting as I call it) ;)
Here is how we should be drying our hair:
- Towel dry your hair well and allow it air-dry as much as possible... It will save your arm strength and your time if you can shower earlier, and get on with other things leaving your hair until last to blow-dry.
- Section your blow-dry, at least in 2 sections – the top (a horseshoe section from one temple to the other) and the bottom (everything below that section).
- Dry the bottom section straight down the hair shaft with a large round or paddle brush so it's smooth and glossy.
- Apply a little mousse or root booster serum to the top section and blow-dry in large sections with a large, vented round brush for body and shape.