Mould is a health hazard in the home. It can cause respiratory problems for the young, elderly and sick, and trigger asthma attacks and worsen symptoms. According to the National Asthma Council Australia, 50% of people living in mouldy homes have ongoing upper respiratory symptoms that resemble hay fever.
Becky Thompson, Founder of SimplyClean shares her tips.
Can I use bleach – it's cheap and available everywhere?
Chlorine bleach is the traditional solution for tackling mould in the home, but its effectiveness is limited and problems are numerous.
- Bleaches to white
- Bleach isn't a very effective mould killer
- Bleach tackles mould on the surface and is not good at penetrating the mould to reach the hidden spores behind. So, the result may look good to start but it won't be long before those lingering living spores begin to flourish and the mould appears once again.
- Bleach is irritating and unhealthy for many. Chlorine fumes can irritate the nose and throat, and being around bleach seriously affects people with chronic health issues such as asthma and chronic fatigue.
- Bleach is corrosive
- Bleach needs careful handling
How to get rid of mould without toxic chemicals
Hydrogen peroxide is an oxygen-based bleach that's super at tackling mould and performs even better when combined with surfactants (cleaning ingredients that break down the surface of stuff like dirt and mould). Whilst it's a type of "bleach", it discolours only mildly.
SimplyClean Simply No Mould combines a strong 5% solution of hydrogen peroxide and a blend of plant-based surfactants that help the hydrogen peroxide seep into the mould.
- Effective mould killing you can see at work
- The healthy alternative
to use even around our more vulnerable family members, including those with health conditions.
- Safe around your home
- Simply No Mould is slower at concealing mould.
How to help prevent mould
- Use a squeegee in your shower and send all that excess water straight down the drain after a shower.
- Ventilate - use exhaust fans and open windows where possible in the bathroom and kitchen, to remove condensation during showering and cooking.
- Use moisture absorbers in small rooms, and wardrobes. Calcium chloride crystals absorb excess moisture in the air and are cheap, and safe for the environment.