I've taken the classic 'Joy Of Cooking' Creamy Chicken Pie which is full of butter, cream & white flour and reworked it into better tasting, gluten free & dairy free version which is just as creamy and tastes amazing.
The original recipe kept telling me I had to stop and whisk out the lumps caused by the flour, but because I used coconut flour instead it stayed completely smooth as well as giving the chicken a yummy coconut flavour. I also swapped out the cream with organic Soy milk and you can't taste any difference.
Just note with the gluten free pastry, try to stay clear from versions with GM soy ingredients. Try the Gluten Free Gourmet range. Here is the recipe:
- Warm 75mls of certified organic coconut oil in a large pan
- Add 75g of Coconut flour and mix into a paste (be careful you don't burn it) and mix in 500mls of warm chicken stock and stir till it's really smooth and starts to get thick.
- Add 375mls of soy milk (only use organic GM free), bring to simmer till it gets nice and thick.
- Add some freshly ground black pepper and throw in cooked chicken breast. I actually poached organic free range chicken breast with stock and used that but it would be much faster to use a pre cooked free range chicken.
- In seperate pan cook chopped onions, carrots, celery, red & green capsicums till just soft & add these to the creamy chicken.
- Pour this yummy mixture into an oiled pie dish & top with gluten free puff pastry, brush with beaten egg and cook till the pastry is golden brown.