Ep 26: Everything You Need to Know About Gut Health
In this episode of our Nourished Life podcast, I speak to Katherine Maslen – a naturopath, nutritionist, author and gut health expert – about adrenal fatigue, healthy & clean eating, probiotics and absolutely everything gut-related!
Some of you may know that I've had difficulties with adrenal fatigue for a while now. I've always suspected that my gut health might have something to do with it, especially my penchant for sugar! What I didn't realise is that gut health is virtually connected to everything. I'm talking stress, fertility, hormones, weight and so much more. In this episode, I'm joined by naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen, who enlightens me about all things gut health — it's truly fascinating!
Join Katherine and me as she talks about what a healthy digestive system should look like, how sugar feeds the yeast in your gut and how fixing our gut health first can have a huge impact on so many areas of your health. She also explains the ketogenic diet, the difference between pre- and probiotics, and how veggies should be the cornerstone of your weekly meal plan.
• Your gut is a very complex system that starts with your mouth and is followed by your stomach, small intestine, pancreas and liver. If you have a problem in one area it can easily impact another area.
• If you have a lot of bloating, Katherine recommends eliminating wheat and dairy for two weeks. If you don't see any change, it might be time to see a naturopath.
• Your gut microbiome is made up of 2–3 kilos of bacteria, yeast, viruses and archaea organisms, all operating in a delicate balance.
• Katherine's podcast "The Shift" is a video documentary series featuring interviews with gut health experts.
• Katherine recommends eating 2 types of probiotic food daily, such as kimchi, sauerkraut, miso or yoghurt with live cultures.