Ep 20: Clean Eating 101 with a Nutritionist
Not sure where to start when it comes to nutrition, health and clean eating! In this episode of my Talking Clean with Irene podcast, I'm getting back to basics with Steph Lowe, a qualified nutritionist from Melrose Health.
For anyone who might be overwhelmed by the world of nutrition, let's get back to basics! This week I'm talking to fully qualified nutritionist Steph Lowe about the simple steps we can take to help improve our daily eating habits. Steph is the resident nutritionist at Melrose Health (known for their range of health foods and supplements since 1979) and she shares just how easy it is to make the switch to healthier eating ... often it's in the dressing!
In this episode, Steph explains how nutrition affects our everyday lives, including the food/mood connection. She also talks about how we're living in a society that defaults to carbs, and how these options don't always include proteins and healthy fats, which are what we need to feel satisfied and full.
We talk 'healthy fats' and how to use them, discuss the smoke points of cooking oils, and Steph even shares her 'get-up-and-go' smoothie recipe!
• Olive oil is a great source of essential Omega 3 fat but is best used as a dressing — it can be heated to about 160 degrees and no higher.
• When it comes to gut health, it's important to focus on food diversity.
• To make a frozen banana substitute for your smoothies, freeze an unpeeled zucchini!
• Saturated fat means that the integrity of the oil isn't impacted by high temperatures.
• Steph's ideal lunch is plants (1-2 cups of veggies), a palm sized piece of protein and some healthy fats (2 tablespoons in total).
Did you enjoy this podcast episode? Please don't forget to subscribe and please leave me a 5-star review in Apple Podcasts or your favourite podcast app – together, we can make toxin-free living mainstream!