There are so many ways to use medicinal mushroom powders, so thanks to Mason Taylor from SuperFeast Mushrooms, I've put together this quick guide to our top 3 recipes to use them in.
The founder of SuperFeast, Mason Taylor, recently joined me for a very special podcast episode, telling us everything we ever wanted to know about medicinal mushrooms! Mason is an absolute expert on these "magic" mushrooms, having discovered their benefits firsthand after suffering from exhaustion and other health problems. Through his experience, Mason has also come up with some incredibly delicious recipes so that we can all find the best ways to enjoy these medicinal mushroom powders! Here are our top three favourites...
1. Ultimate Medicinal Mushroom Hot Chocolate
Perfect enjoyed by the whole family, this deliciously creamy medicinal mushroom hot chocolate is packed full of goodness thanks to one very special medicinal mushroom blend – it's the best tasting healthy hot chocolate recipe I've ever had!
Makes 1 serve.
• 1/2 tsp SuperFeast Mason's Mushrooms
• 1 tsp cacao powder
• 1 cup plant milk heated (we love coconut for its creaminess)
• 1 tsp coconut oil
• 1 − 2 tsp maple syrup
• 1/2 tsp vanilla
• Pinch of sea salt
1. Add all ingredients to a blender
2. Jing Dandy Coffee
This dandy "coffee" recipe is perfect for when you need a break from caffeine but still want that classic coffee taste – the Jing blend used in this recipe contains tonic herbs, designed to help provide energy and stamina without being a stimulant like caffeine.
• 250ml dandy blend (roasted dandelion and chicory root) brewed tea (still hot)
• 1 tsp SuperFeast Jing
• 1 heaped tsp coconut oil
• Pinch sea salt
• Optional: If you like sugar in your coffee, add maple syrup or stevia to taste
Blend in a high-speed blender or whisk over a low heat in a saucepan until combined. Enjoy immediately.
3. Tremella Pancakes
These healthy pancakes are an amazing way to start the day! They are absolutely packed full of antioxidant-rich Tremella and tonic herbs, they're subtly sweet and they're gluten free too. Serve with coconut kefir for a delicious addition.
• 3 bananas
• 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
• 1/2 cup almond meal
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp baking powder
• 1 Tbs SuperFeast Tremella
• 1/2 tsp SuperFeast Astragalus
• 1/2 tsp SuperFeast Lion's Mane
• Pinch sea salt
• 1 Tbs maple syrup (optional)
• 1/2 cup coconut milk
• 2 eggs
• Ghee or coconut oil for frying
1. Mash the bananas in a large bowl using a fork. A few small lumps are fine to leave.
2. Add the remaining dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, eggs and maple syrup if using, then pour over the pancake mix. Stir to combine.
4. Heat 1-2 tbs of ghee or coconut oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
5. Once the oil has melted, add 2-3 tbs of the wet mixture to form your pancake.
6. Fry until bubbles rise and the pancake is golden, flipping to cook the other side. Repeat steps 4 to 6 until all mixture has been used.
7. Serve warm, topped with your favourite fruit, some nut butter and/or a generous serve of coconut kefir.
These pancakes will last up to 3 days if stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Recipes and images: SuperFeast.